[opencms-dev] Information Push in OpenCMS ?

Ralf Bierig ambiesense at gmx.de
Mon Oct 27 11:26:01 CET 2003

Hi,

OpenCMS / Tomcat works over HTTP and therefore implement the HTTP request /
response
pattern which is like an information pull over the internet. For this I
would
for example have a JSP in OpenCMS which is requested by a browser, these JSP
is calling
some java beans and the information output is put as a HTML and sent back to
the browser. Fine! But...

...how can I implement information push? What do I have to do
(methodological,
technical) to let my Java software push a website to a browser? I know this
is a very general description but I hope you understand what I mean.

To be more precise, but I do not want to restrict your answer, I could also
think of these variant. A JSP site is requested by a browser. Every few
seconds, the Java bean is producing a new updated version of this output
website.
How would I do this? I am interesting in that way, that the business logic
is initiating the informaton push to the client.

If somebody know a more generic appraoch, please let me know? Is
there a kind of architecture which supports this kind of programming? I
think
the main problem is HTTP, since HTTP was not designed for this way of
information provision.

Any help, examples, links etc. would be highly appreciated,
Ralf