[opencms-dev] Very basic question

M Butcher mbutcher at grcomputing.net
Fri Nov 7 05:39:02 CET 2003

Hi Arne,

Arne Van Renterghem wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I installed tomcat/JSDK/openCMS and everything is working. I quickly
> reviewed the documents and did the first exercises.
>
> My first impression is: I will need to learn java etc to get any kind
> of website running, let alone a complex.

JSP is a must. Java would be handy, but is not necessary.

> I have quite a bit of experience with php/mysql.

In many ways, JSP is similar to Object Oriented PHP (it's also very
similar to JavaScript).  There are some good books on the topic, too
(I'm partial to O'Reilly and New Riders books, myself, but I'm sure
there are many good ones). java.sun.com also has some pretty good
tutorials online.

The "plain" Java stuff (as in full classes, jars, etc.) comes in useful
for heavy-duty resusable coding. If you take a look at the modules out
there, most of them have some Java in them. However, you won't need to
do much of that immediately, and it is probably better to "ease your way
in" by learning JSP first.

One word of warning, though: Java's error messages are not nearly as
friendly (at first glance) as PHP's. Simple errors like forgetting
initialize a variable can lead to some pretty daunting error messages.
You'll get used to it, though. ;-)

> I was looking for a cms system to create and keep up to date a website
> for a non profit organisation with a group of people (designers,
> database managers, adminstrative people, ...).

OpenCms is a good fit for that type of model.

> My question: can I get away with not learning java stuff and still be
> able to create/maintain a semi-complex website ?

You can get away with only learning JSP.

Hope that helps.

Matt