[opencms-dev] Many OpenCMS on one server?

Arne Schirmacher nn4l at yahoo.de
Fri Nov 7 10:14:01 CET 2003

I want to host several (4) OpenCMS driven websites on
one server. What is the best way to do this so that
each OpenCMS site is completely independend and has
its own domain name?

For the sake of this discussion, let's assume I have
100 customers with 100 OpenCMS driven websites, and
the total server traffic is low (1 hit per second). I
know how to do this for a PHP or Perl driven content
management system, it is trivial and works on standard
hardware.

But how would I do this with the Java driven OpenCMS?

My options:

1) install several Tomcats - would work but the memory
requirements are prohibitive

2) install one Tomcat and several webapps/opencms_nn
directories - works, does not use that much memory but
still needs lots of memory

3) install one Tomcat, one OpenCMS and use one
subdirectory under root for each website - this comes
close but in the admin pages all subdirectories are
visible to each administrator, which is not what I
want. In addition I was unable to get rid of the
/opencms/opencms/website_nn link for each of the
virtual domains.

Ideally, what I am looking for is: one Tomcat, one
OpenCMS directory (not in webapps), several
website_nn.xml files in the webapps directory having
distinct database connections and context paths,
sharing as much code, resources etc. as possible, thus
reducing the total memory requirements.

Any suggestions?