[opencms-dev] About OpenCms itself

Joachim Arrasz info at arrasz.de
Mon Dec 1 18:46:01 CET 2003

Hi,

in my opinion all of your statements are wrong!

> I'm testing myself OpenCMS 5, and I feel "nude" in
> some areas comparing with other CMS frameworks, that
> provide a lot of utilities, security controls,
> plugins, modules, etc. Perhaps I don't know enought
> about OpenCMS.

everything is there.
You have to read a bit i think!

> *) Security. I found some security problems concerning
> getting pages not published. Very particular in all
> cases.

This belongs to your requirements. For each File or Folder you can set
user rights detailed!!! left click with mouse on the icon of the file

> *) Templates. If you are using plain files (txt, HTML,
> images) you can use OpenCMS templates to present in a
> consistent web appearance. But if you want to present
> dynamics contents, via JSPs, docs recommend use
> template mechanism ("head" and "foot" user defined
> tags). If the layout is complex, practically you hace
> to code this layout in every JSP. To overcome this
> inconvenient way, we developed a redirection JSP that
> prepare the layout and "include" the content.

read a bit about multiple content in opencms-forum.de!

> *) There are few modules developed by the community,
> if you compare with other CMS frameworks. For example,
> to obtain "news" module, the only way is ask for it in
> this list. In a search throw the web only, only appear
> 3 or 4 references. What about polls, web logs, web
> mails, LDAP-calls, etc. ??

there are not as much modules as a typo3 has, but weekly i find more!
Have a look at

opencms.al-arenal.de
and on opencms.ogr on the modules sandbox

> *) Workflow. There is no workflow system applied to
> the creation/revision/publishing of contents. The
> funcionality included in OpenCMS is like a messenger
> facility, to communicate simple facts from one user to
> other.

sure thats right, but with the API it`s quite easy to build this!

Hope this makes all a bit more "easy"

Kind Regards

Joachim Arrasz

Synyx oHG