[opencms-dev] About OpenCms itself

jesus f jesusf_bp at yahoo.es
Mon Dec 1 18:17:01 CET 2003

Hi,

as Javier Amado wrote some days ago, I think that
OpenCMS fails in some of the basic concepts of a CMS
should provide.

I'm testing myself OpenCMS 5, and I feel "nude" in
some areas comparing with other CMS frameworks, that
provide a lot of utilities, security controls,
plugins, modules, etc. Perhaps I don't know enought
about OpenCMS.

The following list shows you the main areas where I
think OpenCMS is lacking funcionalities:

*) I'm building a very dynamic prototype, but dynamic
content should be develop from scratch, using plain
JDBC code. So, what is the utility from OpenCMS in
this area ? Docs from OpenCMS recomend us to use JDBC
with some special interface, but essentially is
standard JDBC.

*) Security. I found some security problems concerning
getting pages not published. Very particular in all
cases.

*) Templates. If you are using plain files (txt, HTML,
images) you can use OpenCMS templates to present in a
consistent web appearance. But if you want to present
dynamics contents, via JSPs, docs recommend use
template mechanism ("head" and "foot" user defined
tags). If the layout is complex, practically you hace
to code this layout in every JSP. To overcome this
inconvenient way, we developed a redirection JSP that
prepare the layout and "include" the content.

*) There are few modules developed by the community,
if you compare with other CMS frameworks. For example,
to obtain "news" module, the only way is ask for it in
this list. In a search throw the web only, only appear
3 or 4 references. What about polls, web logs, web
mails, LDAP-calls, etc. ??

*) Workflow. There is no workflow system applied to
the creation/revision/publishing of contents. The
funcionality included in OpenCMS is like a messenger
facility, to communicate simple facts from one user to
other.

Perhaps this approach likes very negative, but my
intention is to solve/clear this points, in order to
continue testing OpwnCMS in the proper way.

Thanks in advance for all your comments.