[opencms-dev] where to store some data?

Olli Aro olli_aro at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 12:54:01 CET 2003

There is no limit for a content item, it can include what ever you want. The
question is more, I suppose, do you gain any value by having your data as
part of the vfs. E.g. back to my shopping example. If the stock items are
implemented as content items, then they can be categorised / managed the
same way than the normal content pages within the opencms. So you could use
the opencms explorer to move them between the folders / categories, add them
as part of the publish workflow...

The recommended way to create new content items is to create new
ContentDefinition class. You can read about the content definition from the
opencms v5 pdf user guide.

> Using own database means writing own queries and own selects? Or is
> there a mechanism included doing that?

Yes. I think you can use opencms database connection pool to write your own
queries as long as your table in within the opencms database. However, I
have not tried it, I normally create my own pool.

> best regards
> Tol

---