[opencms-dev] where to store some data?

tol opencms at recordcaster.de
Thu Dec 18 01:16:01 CET 2003

I read the chapter about Content Definitions, Backoffice Modules and
Mastermodules! Don't  know if I understand it all, but what I understand
sounds very very good :-))
But now I feel very confused and thousands of questions appear - a bit
chaotic at this time ...
ok, some more questions:

Olli Aro wrote:
 > If it seems there is no real value presenting your data as content
items, then I would just use my
 > own database.
Have you an example for this??  All data I think about (newlettersystem,
address, article, mediastorage, and so on) are like your shopping
example. What a kind of data should stored in a separat database? Or is
the important question, if I have to use the workflow, history and
publishing for my data?

What about the performance? If I understand it right, than all the
objects stored in the VFS, are located in the same table. Would it
better using different table if the amount of  documents/opbjects grows up?

Olli Aro wrote:

>Yes. I think you can use opencms database connection pool to write your own
>queries as long as your table in within the opencms database. However, I
>have not tried it, I normally create my own pool.

Why did you create your own pool? What are the reasons for such a decision?

Tol