[opencms-dev] Server Architecture Question

Angus Mezick amezick at guidestar.org
Thu Jan 8 21:00:01 CET 2004

I work for GuideStar maintaining/extending the site
http://www.guidestar.org  We currently have a cluster of 5 web servers
hosting our site.  The httpSessions on these servers are clustered by
storing the session in a database.  Every two weeks we build the site on
our dev environment, jar up the build, and push it to the site.  I would
like to use OpenCMS to enable the people who write the text of our site
(everything that isn't a search result) to mostly ignore our build
schedule.  Our search code uses a servlet based MVC model to direct
people around the site.  So, we call a servlet, it runs the required
business logic, deposits the results into the Request or Session object,
forwards to a JSP page, and then the taglibs extract the results and
displays them.  The JSP's and taglibs have NO business logic.  How would
I integrate this type of site into OpenCMS?  Would there be some way to
turn our code into a OpenCMS component complete with all the servlet
side logic?  Or do I need to run two web-apps, one for the search and
one for the other content?  This gets scary because what happens when
they mix if I go with the second option?

Angus Mezick
GuideStar - Philanthropic Research Inc.
427 Scotland St.
Williamsburg, Virginia 23185
PHONE: (757)299-4631 x35  FAX:(757)229-8912
amezick at guidestar.org <mailto:amezick at guidestar.org>
www.guidestar.org <http://www.guidestar.org>