[opencms-dev] Documents on how to get started

Roberto Mario Allende - 96132302 rallende at hal.famaf.unc.edu.ar
Tue Jan 13 02:22:02 CET 2004

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Thomas, Cord wrote:

> hello all,
>
> I just started workig with open cms and am not clear on how to use the publishing environment.
>
> my goal is simply to create a new website, so i created a new project, tried to create some content using the example documentation site as a template, but now when it comes to publishing, some stuff is getting published, and some not - and i cannot figure out a rule.
Well, if you want to create a new website using the templates that you
already have on your machine, you don't need to create a new proyect. Just
add a new folder or edit the index.html  with your own content. If you
want to create a new template for your site that is another history.

> Basically, i do not understand the relationship between the system/modules/org.opencms.website-demo files and hte files in /opencms-demo.
you can think system/modules/org.opencms.website-demo as a dependency of
opencms-demo. On system/modules/org... you have the
template or theme definition, the code that generates the navigation bar,
your css, pictures that the template uses, and so on.
On /opencms-demo is the content itself. Try to edit any file at
/opencms-demo and compare it with the page on the site.

> Why create a file index.html that is a link to /system/modules/org.opencms.templates/pages/redirect.html
why you need that ?

> I think the documentation is well structured, but what i am missing is a document explaining the expected project file/folder structure for a standard web site publishing project.
Well... when documentation is not in off you've the mail list :)

> Anyone point me in the right direction?
Try this: add new pages, pay attention on the template option, choose
diferent ones and watch the difference. Then read the template
online documentation.
I hope that helps.

r.