[opencms-dev] Replaced xercesImpl, now getting error 404 on e diting HTML.

Michael Nork mnork at recursionsw.com
Sat Jan 24 00:17:01 CET 2004

>Michael Nork <mnork at recursionsw.com> writes:
>
>> Probably for the same reason it is so hard for you to read the original
post
>> and follow it.
>
>Well, it is hard to follow, since you don't use any References-Header in
>your mails. And by the way I read your original post. And tell me how
>did you solve the problem? If I read your posts correctly then you did
>everything as posted in "RE: [opencms-dev] Edit Error 404 Resource not
>Available (SOLUTION )" already?

Actually, yes since I wrote that post to.  It was what I did that solved the

issue.  What remains for me to discover is:

Was it:

   a) Installing OpenCMS with the xercies-1_4_4.jar file in the endorsed
      directory named xercesImpl.jar that fixed the issue?

   b) Adding the activeX control LEDIT.dll to windows/system32?

   c) Removing the old file from the directory?

I am leaning towards "b" since I have a deep distrust of all things .dll
<grin>

>> To compound matters that did not solve the problem, unless you are
>> intimating that Tomcat somehow can access a directory it knows nothing
>> about.  Since the files are still there then that must not be the
problem.

>> In case you missed my intent I gave a full description of the steps I had
>> taken just in case someone out in the community was interested in helping
>> (which I might add they did).  I guess it was just too much information
for
>> you to digest.
>>
>> Anyway sorry to spam the rest of you on this list with this tirade, I
just
>> detest sniping.
>
>I am sorry. But xerces*.jar topics are annoying. And in the end you did
>nothing but replacing [0] the file.

AND "Adding the activeX LEDIT.dll", don't forget that.  Anyway apology
accepted.
I totally understand frustrating questions, I worked as an end user support
person for years (more than I care to confess).
I really do put forth due diligence before seeking help because I learn more

that way.

>Maybe the real question is: to replace by copying or to replace by
>moving?
>

>[0] http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=replace

Well technically "replace" does not carry the connotation of renaming, it
simply means
"to provide a substitute for".  Perhaps it should be restated to replace and
rename?
Since what I know about .jar files is that it's the content structure that
carries the
context for the application, not necessarily the file system name.

But I really want to do some tests on other systems in the office to
determine what whacked
out and why, IMHO that is the only useful way to stem these questions (a
"here read this"
link).

-Michael
>It is pitch dark,