[opencms-dev] Strange performance problems with OpenCms 5.0

christian meyer christian.meyer at virtual-identity.com
Tue Jan 27 09:24:01 CET 2004

Hello everybody!

We've strange problems with performance of OpenCms 5.0 with JSP Templates.

Some facts:
The system is a Linux Dual Processor Machine (2x 2,2 Ghz) and 1Gig of Ram
We use Apache 2 with a 4.1.18 Tomcat connected with mod_jk connector and ajp13.
The Mysql 3.23.55 is located on a different machine. (The dbPerformance is ok. No problem at this point)
We only use JSP templates (includes, some external classes; nothing unusual)

We've made a simple profiling of the entry page of the website and found that the system needs ~2+ sec to render the page (single request) (profiled on the server) The load on both CPUs is more than 30% for more than a second.
If we send some more request (5-10) the CPU load is nearly 100%. The Tomcat did not respond any request in this time. After ~10-20 Sec the Tomcat works again (after processing the request?!).

Later requests rendered faster (~350ms->Caching?) but the main problem (handling with more than one request) is the same.

There's no problem with the memory.

I found a posting with a similar problem description in the list:
http://mail.opencms.org/pipermail/opencms-dev/2003q3/006666.html

Unfortunately the mail address of the sender isn't valid anymore.

Have somebody had similar problems? If yes, what was the problem and how (hopefully) you solved it.
At the moment we've no clue, why the the page is so slow and why the tomcat need so many resources.

Please help!!!!

Kind Regards

Christian

christian meyer