[opencms-dev] Writing a simple MasterModule

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Tue Jan 27 14:30:02 CET 2004

Yea I have thought about OpenCms modules and portlets.

They way I see it there is no need for OpenCms to become a portlet container
itself. There are already 2 good Open Source solutions available, Jetspeed
and Pluto. However, these portal solutions lack CMS capabilities. So what
should be possible with the new module API is to add a kind of "portlet
wrapper" to a module. This will be some little extra work during module
development, but the new API should help you here. The result of this would
be that The contents of an OpenCms module could be exposable as portlet in a
standard portal solution.

Architecture could be something like this:

OpenCms core

OpenCms (new) module implementation

OpenCms portlet wrapper (implements portlet interface)

Portlet container (e.g. Pluto, Jetspeed)

Please let me know what you think about that approach.

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior
Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts