[opencms-dev] Writing a simple MasterModule

Alexander Kandzior a.kandzior at alkacon.com
Tue Jan 27 16:58:01 CET 2004

> > They way I see it there is no need for OpenCms to become a portlet
> > container itself. There are already 2 good Open Source solutions
> > available, Jetspeed and Pluto. However, these portal solutions lack
> > CMS capabilities. So what should be possible with the new
> > module API is to add a kind of "portlet wrapper" to a module.

> this means, that only the backend from OenCMS is used, the
> frontend will be the portlet container itself?

Sort of. AFAIK the contents of the OpenCms based portlets will be generated
by OpenCms. OpenCms delivers a HTML blob. HTML blob is positioned according
to portlet container user settings.

> Well, is it lot of work to
> integrate, for example, Jetspeed into Opencms?

Yes I belive this will be lots of work. And Pluto (another Jarkarta project)
might be the better choice since is "just" the reference implementation of
JSR 168. Sure it would be great to have, but I would rather have a complete
implementation of a new module standard for OpenCms first, then think about
this as possible next step.

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior