[opencms-dev] 2 web servers and one DB

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Sat Jan 31 08:57:02 CET 2004

Hi Angus

> What would happen if I pointed 2 different webserving
> machines to one database and then made updates on one of the
> webservers?  Would the changes be reflected in the second server?

1) Machines A and B will both have different parts of the information in
their memory caches. Only the system where you made the changes will flush
the caches, so the other one will still deliver old content if this is
cached.

2) Also, static export or export points will only be written on the machine
the publish is triggerd.

For 1) there is no easy solution in code, what you can do is restart the
remote machine.
You can solve 2) by doing an rsync from the "publish" machine to the remote
machine.

> What about loading a new module into one of the two servers?

Apart form issues mentioned above (particular important when classes / jars
are part of the module) you would have to copy the registry.xml from the
machine where the update was made to the other one. Or make it part of an
rsync script.

> Also, do I have to have all the auto-reload features in
> tomcat working to have OpenCMS working?

No.

Best Regards,
Alex.