[opencms-dev] Problem with mod_proxy guidelines

Eke, Kemi Kemi.Eke at community-fund.org.uk
Tue Feb 3 21:43:01 CET 2004

Hello Everyone

I recently installed the module
com.alkacon.documentation.howto-httpd-tomcat-modproxy to place my website on
it's own url, and followed the instructions as given, using

Red Hat Professional 9
Sun JDK 1.4.2_01
OpenCms 5.0.1
Apache 2.0.40 (standard to RH9)
Tomcat 4.1.29
Oracle 9i on Separate Unix Box.

The instructions worked (nearly) perfectly, I can use Apache as the proxy
server to Tomcat with the opencms.alkacon.com address.  However, the
instructions indicate that the test sites test01.alkacon.com and
test02.alkacon.com should serve the content of directories
/alkacon-documentation/ and /release/ respectively, however they both serve
content from the same page, namely "{SERVER_NAME}/opencms" and neither of
the two sites are blocked to the other (i.e. you can see all the content for
/alkacon-documentation from test02 and /release from test01 as there are
links to both from the top page "{SERVER_NAME}/opencms")

1) Is this because the final lines in the httpd.conf for all the virtual
hosts in Apache are

ProxyPass         /                         http://127.0.0.1:8081/opencms/
ProxyPassReverse  /                         http://127.0.0.1:8081/opencms/

which suggests that they will always path to the top page? When I adjust
those lines separately for each test0(n) virtual host i.e.

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerName test01.alkacon.com
ProxyPass         /
http://127.0.0.1:8081/opencms/alkacon-documentation/
ProxyPassReverse  /
http://127.0.0.1:8081/opencms/alkacon-documentation/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerName test02.alkacon.com
ProxyPass         /
http://127.0.0.1:8081/opencms/release/
ProxyPassReverse  /
http://127.0.0.1:8081/opencms/release/
</VirtualHost>

both servers will point to the correct page, but in the case of test01 where
there are subdirectories below, Tomcat returns 404 errors for all pages in
subdirectories below alkacon-documentation. Please help!

Additionally from my testing, another point on the instructions, from the
mod_proxy.html page under Step 1: Installing OpenCms:

"...In this example I will be installing OpenCms on my opencms.alkacon.com
server, so the path to the setup wizard on my machine will be
http://opencms.alkacon.com:8080/ocsetup.

The setup wizard should work fine now and you should be able to login into
your OpenCms system. You might note that some images do not appear as they
should. We will fix that in the next step."

{The setup wizard works fine but you cannot log in to the system. You
receive the top page "Introduction to the OpenCms 5 fat-binary
distribution", but none of the links off this page work, I got the following
e.g.

HTTP Status 404
type status report
message /ROOT/opencms/index.jsp
description The requested resource /ROOT/opencms/index.jsp is not available

so it would seem not worth testing this at this point. However everything is
fine by step 4, apart from the problem I am having at the moment).

TIA for any help

Kind Regards

Kemi Eke

Information contained in this email plus any attachment is intended for
the use of the addressee only and is confidential, proprietary and may
be privileged. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or use of this
communication without the prior permission of the sender is prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy this message or
attachment or disclose the contents to any other person, but are
requested to telephone or email the sender and delete the message and
any attachment from your system. The contents of this message will not
be in any way binding upon the Community Fund. Opinions, conclusions,
contractual obligations and other information in this message, in so far
as they relate to the official business of the Community Fund, must be
specifically confirmed in writing by the Community Fund.