[opencms-dev] Problem with mod_proxy guidelines

Eke, Kemi Kemi.Eke at community-fund.org.uk
Wed Feb 4 13:22:03 CET 2004

Hi Alex,

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly.  I have tried the suggestion you
made but unfortunately to no avail.  In the documentation supplied by the
module it has the lines

"...Step 2: Configuring OpenCms
Now open the OpenCms configuration file
{$TOMCAT_HOME}/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/config/opencms.properties.

Around line 450, locate the following 2 keys:
url_prefix_export=/${WEB_APP_NAME}/export
url_prefix_http=/${WEB_APP_NAME}/opencms

Change the values of these 2 keys to:
url_prefix_export=/export
url_prefix_http="

Which I tried and got the error I'm currently having, i.e. the systems all
work but opencms.alkacon.com, test01.alkacon.com and test02.alkacon.com are
all serving the same "Introduction to the OpenCms 5 fat-binary distribution"
page rather than the separate /alkacon-documentation/ and /release/ sections
per test server.

The change you suggested is slightly different to the one contained in the
notes namely

url_prefix_http=/opencms

instead of

url_prefix_http=

This has the effect of allowing the alkacon-documentation jsps under
test01.alkacon.com to work (from the links on the served "Introduction to
the OpenCms 5 fat-binary distribution" page)  but reports back to the
browser address line that the pages are coming from
http://opencms.alkacon.com/alkacon-documentation/..., instead of
http://test01.alkacon.com.
This could be because I'm using /etc/hosts and
C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts to do name resolution instead of DNS,
which I think will pick out the first name in the list, but the problem of
the root page still being "Introduction to the OpenCms 5 fat-binary
distribution" for all sites still remains.

I was running this as a test under VMWare 4 on a Win2000 host only network,
Linux being a guest OS.  I will try it on two different pieces of hardware
and let you know what happens, but I don't believe this is a networking
problem with VMWare.  I enclose the Virtual hosts section of my httpd.conf
file below if this is useful: (the other file adjustments to server.xml in
tomcat and opencms.properties are identical to your instructions)

#NameVirtualHost 192.168.5.126

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName opencms.alkacon.com
ServerAdmin root

DocumentRoot /opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29/webapps/ROOT
ErrorLog logs/error.log
# Log only non-redirect requests in "normal" log file
SetEnvIf Request_URI "\/opencms\/*" redirect
CustomLog logs/localhost-access.log common env=!redirect

ProxyPass /opencms/ !
RedirectPermanent /opencms/ http://opencms.alkacon.com/

ProxyPass /resources/ !
ProxyPass /export/    !

ProxyPass / http://192.168.5.126:8082/opencms/
ProxyPassReverse / http://192.168.5.126:8082/opencms/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName test01.alkacon.com
ServerAdmin root

DocumentRoot /opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29/webapps/ROOT
ErrorLog logs/error.log

# Log only non-redirect requests in "normal" log file
SetEnvIf Request_URI "\/opencms\/*" redirect
CustomLog logs/test01-access.log common env=!redirect

# Multi domain configuration: All pages in "/release/" are to be served from
# domain test02.alkacon.com
ProxyPass /release/ !
RedirectPermanent /release/ http://test02.alkacon.com/release/

ProxyPass /opencms/ !
RedirectPermanent /opencms/ http://test01.alkacon.com/

ProxyPass /resources/ !
ProxyPass /export/ !

ProxyPass / http://192.168.5.126:8081/opencms/
ProxyPassReverse / http://192.168.5.126:8081/opencms/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName test02.alkacon.com
ServerAdmin root

DocumentRoot /opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29/webapps/ROOT
ErrorLog logs/error.log

# Log only non-redirect requests in "normal" log file
SetEnvIf Request_URI "\/opencms\/*" redirect
CustomLog logs/test02-access.log common env=!redirect

# Multi domain configuration: All pages in "/release/" are to be served from
# domain test01.alkacon.com
ProxyPass /alkacon-documentation/ !
RedirectPermanent /alkacon-documentation/
http://test01.alkacon.com/alkacon-documentation/

ProxyPass /opencms/ !
RedirectPermanent /opencms/ http://test02.alkacon.com/

ProxyPass /resources/ !
ProxyPass /export/ !

ProxyPass / http://192.168.5.126:8081/opencms/
ProxyPassReverse / http://192.168.5.126:8081/opencms/
</VirtualHost>

My c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and /etc/hosts files contain the
lines in this order

192.168.5.127 trinity.alkacon.com
192.168.5.126 opencms.alkacon.com
192.168.5.126 test01.alkacon.com
192.168.5.126 test02.alkacon.com

(I have 192.168.5.127 mapped to eth0 and 192.168.5.126 mapped to eth0:0)

TIA for any further advice

Kind Regards

Kemi Eke

Message: 3