[opencms-dev] Newbie: Help Needed

M Butcher mbutcher at grcomputing.net
Tue Feb 17 09:06:02 CET 2004

Alexander Kandzior wrote:
>>We've discussed this quite often on this list -- the short answer is
>>that 5.0 was designed to run on Tomcat 4.x. If you can, you ought to
>>move back to Tomcat 4.1.27 or so.
>

> Hmm, it ws not designed for Tomcat 4.x, this was the only Tomcat available
> when it was designed. But it should run with 5.x also. The encoding issue is
> certainly not Tomcat - version related.

I should have said designed against the servlet spec of which the 4.x
series was the reference platform -- that was your justification in
containers.

As David would have noticed, had he read the archived posts, the issue
is mostly related to the Xerces implementation, right? And there exist
at least two patches for it -- both which do the same thing. However, I
don't know of anyone who has gotten Tomcat 5 to work without tweaking
code, thus I suggested that he go to a previous version. No point in
fixing the install only to discover that he will have to reinstall.

Matt