[opencms-dev] Newbie: Help Needed

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Tue Feb 17 10:02:01 CET 2004

> >>We've discussed this quite often on this list -- the short answer is
> >>that 5.0 was designed to run on Tomcat 4.x. If you can, you
> ought to
> >>move back to Tomcat 4.1.27 or so.
> >

> > Hmm, it ws not designed for Tomcat 4.x, this was the only Tomcat
> > available when it was designed. But it should run with 5.x
> > also. The encoding issue is certainly not Tomcat - version related.
>
> I should have said designed against the servlet spec of which the 4.x
> series was the reference platform -- that was your justification in
> containers.

As for the encoding, this is not servlet spec related. My "justification"
(if I need one) is that the code that cases the trouble with the encoding
uses a Xerces 1.x feature and Tomcat 5.x ships with Xerces 2.x installed.
There was a change in the Xerces API from 1.x to 2.x that affect encoding
selection. Only recently (2 weeks ago) someone finally contributed some code
that actually appears to solve the issue. Turns out hat in Xerces 1.x you do
"document.getEncoding()" but in Xerces 2.x you must do
"document.getXmlEncoding()".

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior