[opencms-dev] Finding a OpenCms suitable web host?

Thomas M�rz thomasmaerz at gmx.de
Fri Feb 20 09:53:01 CET 2004

"Alex !" <kingofkingston at hotmail.com> writes:

> Could you give me an indication of what questions I should be asking
> from web hosts to determine if they are suitable. Or better yet a
> recommendation?

Ask if you will be allowed to restart your servlet container any time.

> I know of all the normal stuff like specs, installed environment,
> access privalidges etc. but I'm not sure if I need to ask any OpenCms
> specific questions.

JSDK 1.4.x
Beware of Tomcat'S (>= 4.1.29) xercesImp.jar and OpenCms <= 5.0.1

> Is there a minimum disk space requirement for table space, or memory
> requirement etc.

# du -h /var/lib/mysql/opencms/
938M    /var/lib/mysql/opencms

ls -hl /var/lib/mysql/opencms/CMS_BACKUP_FILES.*
8.4k Sep 12 15:50 /var/lib/mysql/opencms/CMS_BACKUP_FILES.frm
545M Feb 19 15:40 /var/lib/mysql/opencms/CMS_BACKUP_FILES.MYD
210k Feb 19 15:40 /var/lib/mysql/opencms/CMS_BACKUP_FILES.MYI

So I could reduce the database size.

And about 6000 static exported files on the disk.

> Would would be a good configuration? Shoudl we go down the Virtual
> Private server route (128mb jvm pool/heap) or go for a dedicated
> server e.g. http://www.echomountain.com/dedicated/LinuxPE650CE.html
> ???

Hard to say. My OpenCms installations never had more than about 15 - 20
users. Maybe try this for yourself.