[opencms-dev] opencms5.3.3 and mod_proxy

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Mon Mar 1 20:36:01 CET 2004

Guillermo,

configuration is almost identical to OpenCms 5.0 for this, so the
documentation module about mod_proxy is still mostly valid. The multiple
site configuration in OpenCms is now much more powerful so this part of the
documentation is different in OpenCms 6.0.

In general, configure httpd and Tomcat as described in the Document.

In opencms.properties, replace the following keys:

# The rfs prefix is used when writing the static resources to the "real"
file system
# The vfs prefix defines the context prefix for the OpenCms VFS
staticexport.prefix_rfs=${CONTEXT_NAME}/export
staticexport.prefix_vfs=${CONTEXT_NAME}${SERVLET_NAME}

with

# The rfs prefix is used when writing the static resources to the "real"
file system
# The vfs prefix defines the context prefix for the OpenCms VFS
staticexport.prefix_rfs=${CONTEXT_NAME}/export
staticexport.prefix_vfs=${CONTEXT_NAME}

The ${CONTEXT_NAME} will be expanded to your web application name, but if
this is identical to the root context ROOT, then is will be expanded to the
empty String.

Also make sure the following is set correctly (change localhost/port to
comply with your configuration):

# The workplace site
site.workplace=http://localhost:8080

# List of configured site roots
# The format of the list entries is: (server url)|(vfs folder)
# e.g. http://localhost:8081|/sites/default/
site.root.list=http://localhost:8080|/sites/default/

Keep in mind that in the mod_proxy configuration, the local Tomcat is the
agent that actually accesses OpenCms (ie. localhost is usually fine). If you
want to add another site, do the following:

1. create a new folder in OpenCms, e.g. /sites/site2/ and publish
2. modify site configuration in opencms.properties, e.g.
site.root.list=\
http://localhost:8080|/sites/default/, \
http://localhost:8081|/sites/site2/
3. configure Tomcat/httpd accordingly to serve site2

Make sure you access the workplace only through the configured workplace
site, at least if you want to work on several OpenCms managed websites at
once.

With this configuration and the mod_proxy settings, contents in the default
site will be accessible through port 8080 and contents of the site2 site
will be accessible through port 8081. Of course with the mod_proxy
configuration you can have any other hostname(s) in front (ie. httpd.conf),
the 8080/8081 only goes in the Tomcat server.xml configuration. With the
mod_proxy setting as described, you can directly access the "root" folder of
your 2 sites, no servlet name or context name will be in the path.

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior
Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts