[opencms-dev] Testing course with OpenCMS

Sebastian Jekutsch jekutsch at pcpool.mi.fu-berlin.de
Thu Mar 4 17:32:01 CET 2004

Dear OpenCMS developers,

at the free university of Berlin, we currently plan to offer a course on software quality assurance for the students in computer science. The idea is to take a software project/product from the real world and to apply various defect finding techniques to the excutable and source code. We identified some open source projects to be interesting, amoung which OpenCMS is one one the most promising.

To get an idea how well OpenCMS suits our needs, maybe you can give some assessment on the following subjects:

-> Which part/module of OpenCMS needs testing and is supposed to contain bugs of various kind? Do you rate OpenCMS being buggy (in some modules) or is it likely that we won't find many bugs at all?

-> How well is the source code of OpenCMS prepared to be treated by code inspection techniques to find bugs? Is the code and the program design well documented and comprehensible?

-> Will finding bugs in OpenCMS be anticipated by the community (i.e. YOU :-) to raise motivation of the students? Or are there many already known bugs which needs treatment?

We expect about 10 students in the course which will work 100 houres each (including introduction) on finding bugs in OpenCMS. I guess that will help OpenCMS to become even more powerful!

Thanks in advance for any helpful remark,

Sebastian Jekutsch
Stephan Salinger

Work group Software Engineering
Institut für Informatik