[opencms-dev] opencms as frontoffice

M Butcher mbutcher at grcomputing.net
Fri Mar 12 20:53:02 CET 2004

Valerio,

Valerio Ferrucci wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new to opencms and I have a simple question:
>
> I already have a (proprietary) backoffice system that I use to enter
> data in my database (as of today, mysql).
>
> Is it possible to use opencms only to publish these data on the Web?

Yes, but it would require creating custom Content Definitions, which are
fairly difficult to implement (each CD requires a significant amount of
custom Java code).

> Does opencms expect data in the db to be structured in a certain way or
> generic database tables can be accessed?

By default, yes -- it has its own database schema for "native"
documents. You can extend this through Content Definitions, but that is
a big task.

OpenCms excels at handling the content management processes -- creating,
editing, and publishing Web content -- but it is not really designed to
be a generic portal to any data source.

Matt