[opencms-dev] Insufficient rights for editing the file: FIX

Richard Fedoriuk Richard.Fedoriuk at rci.rogers.com
Thu Apr 8 22:57:01 CEST 2004

I've spent the last few days searching for a fix to the
(apparently) common issue for newbies working through
the tutorial in the PDF file (i.e. example editing "installation.html")

My fix was to do the following:

 1. opencms.properties file:
     - $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/opencms/WEB-INF/config/opencms.properties

     Ensure that all your database-pool user/passwords agree with
     the database configs for the RDBMS you're using.
     (in my case, MySql: pool.mysql.user=opencmsuser)

     see http://yourLocalHost:8080/opencms/opencms/system/bodies/release/installation.html
     Step 7: "Security issues"

 2. Delete the xerces jar file provided with default Tomcat installation:
    $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed/xercesImpl.jar

    Do *NOT* just rename it - it'll still get used and (yes) you'll still have
    "the problem".

    Copy the xerces jar file supplied with OpenCMS distribution into this folder:
    # cp $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/opencms/WEB-INF/lib/xerces-1_4_4.jar \
         $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed/

    No need to rename this file - it'll work as-is.

    see: http://mail.opencms.org/pipermail/opencms-dev/2004q1/008980.html

 3. Be sure to stop & restart Tomcat, and log back in to OpenCMS.

I hope this saves people some time & frustration. After several attempts at
much nonsense, I found the above article that did the trick.

 - Richard