[opencms-dev] Latest Opencms prob with encoding

webmaster at gridnine.com webmaster at gridnine.com
Fri Apr 16 08:56:02 CEST 2004

Hello Alezander,

There are many factors which may affect the way the browser encodes form
data while making request:

1. Content encoding of the page with form to be submitted (detected by
browser based on HTTP headers or HTML META tags).
2. Page encoding selected by user in the browser menu.
3. User OS international settings.
4. The request method (POST or GET).
According to current HTTP standards there is no reliable way to detect
request encoding from request data only.

The most reliable way which always works, unless user specially changes
encoding of the page in browser menu, is it assume that form data will be
submitted in the same encoding as html page which shows this form. This
method is the most reliable if all html pages are in UTF-8, which makes user
not care about encodings at all since everything will be displayed correctly
in any language and therefore user will not change encoding of the page in
the browser menu.

I am very interested to cooperate on i18n solution for new version of
OpenCMS. I have worked on current branch of OpenCMS to implement correct
language handling which was successfully tested in many different languages
including: Western and Eastern European languages, Russian, Greek,
Mongolian, Kazakh, Tai, Romanian, Turkish,  etc.

Problems found in current brunch of OpenCMS:

1. XMLPage file content is stored using numeric entities for non-Latin
characters. Drawbacks:
a) File size dramatically increases for non-Latin language. This also cause
unnecessary increasing
page "weight" for site visitors (extra traffic).
b) Problems begging if someone wants to edit file using traditional text
editors and then put
file into CMS using synchronization mechanism.
c) Problems with editing such content with "Control code" editor.
2. NavTexts - do not support i18n.
3. MySQL - clean out all escape/unescape method calls in mysql access code
(not needed any more since J/Connector supports Unicode emulation)
4.  JVM environment - remove dependency on -Dfile.encoding JVM startup
parameter

I am ready to discuss, contribute, and commit myself for testing on any of
these issues.

Best Regards,

                    Pavel.