[opencms-dev] development process

DDaniel at mmimail.com DDaniel at mmimail.com
Thu Apr 29 19:59:01 CEST 2004

/// What is a typical development lifecycle for this type of project when
/// employing opencms, i.e., can I build my own site templates outside of
/// opencms and use them?

This is how we have done our implementations.  We build 2 templates (home
page with navigation, and a content template), and add them to opencms. In
your case imagine a front page with a top nav (i.e. about us, ministries).
 Then you would need to create 2 content templates, one for each top nav.
These content templates would probably look identical with the exception
that the ministries template will have the ministry image highlighted.
Then imagine a left hand nav with a listing or ministries (music, youth,
children, etc.).  Once you have the templates created, it will take  1 - 2
days to get this into opencms.  The documentation is really good so it
just depends on your learning curve.

/// what functionality comes with opencms out-of-the box?
Check out http://www.opencms.org/opencms/en/support/tour/index.html

/// how would a somewhat non-technical church staff update some of the
images
/// and content on the site, i.e., would I have to build administrative
/// interfaces for them, or are they already available???
I think you will find the answer to this after going through the guided
tour.  If the staff is used to using something like Microsoft Word, then
they will be able to use the product with minimal training.

Hope that helps.

"John MccLain" <jmcclain at tcshealthcare.com>
Sent by: opencms-dev-admin at opencms.org
04/29/2004 01:20 PM
Please respond to opencms-dev

I have not read the docs on opencms yet -I am trying to find out if it is
worth my time. I will be building a church website. I want to build it and
have the church staff be able to easily modify the calendar, events, and a
few images on the home page, with the potential to add more dynamic
content
in the future. My question is :
What is a typical development lifecycle for this type of project when
employing opencms, i.e., can I build my own site templates outside of
opencms and use them? what functionality comes with opencms out-of-the
box?
how would a somewhat non-technical church staff update some of the images
and content on the site, i.e., would I have to build administrative
interfaces for them, or are they already available???
Thanks for your help.