[opencms-dev] Technical information for a newbie

Joachim Arrasz info at arrasz.de
Sat May 22 10:56:01 CEST 2004

Hello,

> First I would like to know if there is any documentation which shows me
>  where Website files (*.html, *.jsp, *.xml, *.gif, ...) are saved on my
>  harddisk.. What is vfs? Where is the vfs on my disk?

the vfs is the virtul file system from the cms itself. Alle entries in vfs
are in your DB. You can configure each file or folder to let the contents
export statically to your harddisk. The place where to store it is
configurable.
> I thought that mysql consists only of tables which
> contains  data like an Excel-Sheet.

this is wrong. First of all MySQL isn´t the only supported Database. Then
see that you can store binary-files in blobs in a database. So it´s
posssible to save pdf, images and so on in a database.
> So how is it possible to save a
> file (e.g.  index.html) in an mysql database? In case of an backup,
> which files  (including this vfs) do I need to backup?

a textual file is easy. There are different possibilites to save them in a
db. For example in a varchar field, in a text field and all subtypes..
For more little howto´s and other tutorial stuff see

www.opencms-forum.de

Hope this helps a bit for the first steps.

Regards

Joachim Arrasz Synyx oHG Karlsruhe

--
Questions about OpenCMS?