[opencms-dev] Technical information for a newbie

Martin Kuba makub at ics.muni.cz
Sat May 22 15:55:02 CEST 2004

Peter Höltschi wrote:

> Dear Mr. Kaffamanesh and Mr. Arrasz
>
> Thanks for your fast reply, I do really appreciate this. You said, that
> the content of html files is within "the database" and even binary files
> are stored in the mysql db.
> Which db files you mean exactly? Are these the files under
> c:\mysql\data\opencms\*.*? So all the files and folders under "(Root
> folder)" in the ocms-Explorer view are saved in there? Which db file
> holds binary files, which holds html content ...> Filenames? Is
> therefore the vfs just a bunch of mysql db's (in case one uses mysql)?
> Is there any technical documentation, which tells me which mysql db file
> (*.myd, *.myi,*.frm, ...) stores what or has which funtion ?

Hi,

MySQL is a relational database, you should use *only*
SQL (Structured Query Languge) and DDL (Data Definition Language)
commands to manipulate it. Never mess directly with its internal files !

OpenCMS can use other databases than just MySQL, so there
is no reason to know how that particular database stores data.
It may even be on a raw disk partition, not in a filesystem.

If you are not familiar with the concepts of relational
databases and/or BLOBS, maybe you should read
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RDBMS.html
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/jdbc/

Martin
Supercomputing Center Brno             Martin Kuba
Institute of Computer Science    email: makub at ics.muni.cz
Masaryk University             http://www.ics.muni.cz/~makub/
Botanicka 68a, 60200 Brno, CZ     mobil: +420-603-533775