[opencms-dev] Pluggable User Modules

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Wed May 26 17:06:01 CEST 2004

Michael,

regarding your comments to CVS HEAD:

> *The 'configurability' of the
> plugin appears to be limited to the namespace
> org.opencms.[choose a name] in opencms.properties. looking at
> the line (from my memory something like):- driver.user=db
>
> The driver I'm going to create is specific to our needs and
> does not belong in this package namespace (and I assume this
> will be true for most UserDrivers that people will write).

The name of the driver packages is not hardcoded. I know since we have
already developed drivers that use a com.alkacon.* package structure.

> *Some of the methods in the generic sql UserDriver are final
> (with the reason cited being that it allows the compiler to
> inline). This may be a case of premature optimisation. The
> method is long, and it makes subclassing much less easy/useful.

Ok I just removed that "final" from the methods in question (actually there
where only 5 of them). AFAIK the assumtion that "final" allows special
optimization is not true anymore for modern hotspot JVMs anyway.

> *Additional user info is stored as a serialized blob in the
> user table. Null values cannot be read in from the database.
> Due to trying to aggregate all users together into one
> database, a number of fields will not apply to most users and
> I think it would be good to be able to leave them null
> (especially for larger fields).

I don't fully understand what you want here. Can you post me some code
sample (better patch) with the required changes?

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior
Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts