[opencms-dev] Pluggable User Modules

Michael Goodwin mgoodwin at amadeus.net
Wed May 26 16:37:00 CEST 2004

Hello Opencms Team,

I know this is still a work in progress, but have the following comments
(CVS HEAD):
*The 'configurability' of the plugin appears to be limited to the namespace
org.opencms.[choose a name] in opencms.properties. looking at the line
(from my memory something like):-
driver.user=db

The driver I'm going to create is specific to our needs and does not belong
in this package namespace (and I assume this will be true for most
UserDrivers that people will write).

*Some of the methods in the generic sql UserDriver are final (with the
reason cited being that it allows the compiler to inline). This may be a
case of premature optimisation. The method is long, and it makes
subclassing much less easy/useful.

*Additional user info is stored as a serialized blob in the user table.
Null values cannot be read in from the database. Due to trying to aggregate
all users together into one database, a number of fields will not apply to
most users and I think it would be good to be able to leave them null
(especially for larger fields).

(Sorry for the excessive detail) I can make these changes, but do not have
a good way to contribute them back easily, or if they are wanted. How does
one get cvs update access with this project?

Also it seems to me that all of the old-style xml workplace needs to be
replaced by jsp. As this is something I will have to do for my project so I
do not mind contributing this also,

Comments welcome, thanks,

Mike.