[opencms-dev] Re: Referential Integrity in the Database Tier.

Ahmed Mohombe amohombe at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 14 10:39:01 CEST 2004

Tristan Tarrant wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 09:33 +1000, Ross Randell wrote:
>
>> One area of concern for me is that there appears to be no referential
>> integrity (foreign keys) between tables in the database tier. The
>> database creation SQL only seems to specify primary keys and unique
>> constraints. Am I missing something? Is there a reason for the flat
>> table approach? Wouldn't foreign keys and updated finders improve
>> performance and data integrity?
>

> The reference database for OpenCMS is MySQL which has no idea about what
> "referential integrity " is...
As far as I know, there is integrity checking there, but it's not
default. One must configure MySQL with "default-table-type=innoDB" in
"my.conf" in order to achieve foreign key support. So the MySQL script
must be updated too, in order to contain the "FK" lines :).

> I don't think there would be any harm in adding foreign key support to
> the databases which support it.
So MySQL is such a DB too :).

>> Also what is the development status for an EJB layer in OpenCMS ?
>> There are a few mentions on the list but the current status is not
>> clear to me. Will it be included in the 6.0 release?
>

> I believe there is no plan on developing an EJB layer for OpenCMS, and I
> would rather see a some work towards a O-R solution like Hibernate:
> Entity Beans are horrid.
EJB 3 will be based on Hibernate (That's what SUN said :) )

Ahmed.