[opencms-dev] Referential Integrity in the Database Tier.

Tristan Tarrant ttarrant at etnoteam.it
Fri Jun 4 09:14:01 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 09:33 +1000, Ross Randell wrote:

> One area of concern for me is that there appears to be no referential
> integrity (foreign keys) between tables in the database tier. The
> database creation SQL only seems to specify primary keys and unique
> constraints. Am I missing something? Is there a reason for the flat
> table approach? Wouldn't foreign keys and updated finders improve
> performance and data integrity?

The reference database for OpenCMS is MySQL which has no idea about what
"referential integrity " is... :)
I don't think there would be any harm in adding foreign key support to
the databases which support it.

> Also what is the development status for an EJB layer in OpenCMS ?
> There are a few mentions on the list but the current status is not
> clear to me. Will it be included in the 6.0 release?

I believe there is no plan on developing an EJB layer for OpenCMS, and I
would rather see a some work towards a O-R solution like Hibernate:
Entity Beans are horrid.

Tristan