[opencms-dev] Unable to build OpenCms 5.3.5 (Ix) using JDK 1.4.2

david at ourbrisbane.com david at ourbrisbane.com
Tue Jun 22 05:22:01 CEST 2004

Quoting Alexander Kandzior <alex at opencms.org>:

> Hello,
>
> these issues are so far unknown, what JDK are you compiling with?
JDK 1.4.2

> Can you provide details about the "invalid" characters in the JavaDoc?
Sent output in previouse email listing files

> Also, what kind of "fix" did you use for sun.misc.BASE64Decoder?
As a quick fix, place following files under src/sun/misc
BASE64Decoder.java
BASE64Encoder.java
CEFormatException.java
CEStreamExhausted.java
CharacterDecoder.java
CharacterEncoder.java

longer term fix would be to place class wich does BASE64 encode/decode into another package, (org.opencms.???)

> The OpenCms core classes already use Jdk1.4 (actually since 5.0). What makes
> you think this is not so?
It contains references to sun.misc.BASE64Encoder?

> Regarding the compile errors, most of them appear to be from external JARs
> (e.g. org.dom4j or sun.misc).
Jar files do not compress their directory structure,
have run the follwing comand and only got two jar files returned.
#  find / -name \*.jar -exec grep dom4j {} \;
Binary file /home/cms/cms6.0/opencms/webapp/WEB-INF/lib/dom4j-1.5-beta-2.jar matches
Binary file /home/cms/cms6.0/opencms/webapp/WEB-INF/lib/jaxen-1.1-beta-4.jar matches

> The one refereing to OpenCms classes dosn't make sense.
> Are you sure your environment is set up correctly?
I have cleared my classpath so it is empty.
if I type:
#cd /home/cms/cms6.0/opencms/webapp/WEB-INF/lib
# javap org.dom4j.tree.AbstractDocumentType
ERROR:Could not find org.dom4j.tree.AbstractDocumentType
#javap -classpath dom4j-1.5-beta-2.jar org.dom4j.tree.AbstractDocumentType
Compiled from "AbstractDocumentType.java"
public abstract class org.dom4j.tree.AbstractDocumentType extends org.dom4j.tree.AbstractNode implements
org.dom4j.DocumentType{

I had an old copy of CMS 5.X installed, could that be causing me problems?
Although the below did not fix it.

#  find / -name \*.jar -exec grep opencms {} \;
Binary file /home/cms/cms6.0/opencms/webapp/WEB-
INF/setupdata/vfs/system/workplace/skins/components/upload/applet/upload.jar matches
Binary file /usr/local/cms/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.30/webapps/opencms/WEB-INF/lib/opencms.jar matches
rm -rf /usr/local/cms/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.30/webapps/opencms
rm -rf /usr/local/cms/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.30/webapps/opencms.war

Best Regards,
David.