[opencms-dev] Re: External editing

Ahmed Mohombe amohombe at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 21:26:01 CEST 2004

M Butcher wrote:
> Ahmed Mohombe wrote:
>
>> M Butcher wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, I see... the client part would function more like the TortoiseSVN
>>> client (Windows client for Subversion) -- it's main job would be to
>>> synchronize between a remote and a local CMS repository.
>>

>> I thought that WebDAV does such a thing. The "client to be
>> implemented" would be just a bridge between the WebDAV client and the
>> desktop applications (those who does not speak WebDAV), and to start
>> them.
>> (looking in the source of that Zope module: does not seem to do more :) )
>> Am I right, or did I understood something wrong? :)
>

> IIRC, WebDAV has no concept of locking or stateful editing. I don't know
> of any extensions that do, either.
Hmm, funny, I've just played with Dreamweaver + jakarta Slide(webDav)
repository, and Dreamweaver really blocks the "check-outed files" on the
server. Actually there's a small button  icon with "checkout and block".
I'm not an WebDAV expert, but using "DAVExplorer-0.90", I can "explore"
the WebDAV repository (the one from Slide), and I can see the files
locked by Dreamweaver. So, I may be wrong, but what I saw was "Locking" :).

Ahmed.