[opencms-dev] External editing

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Thu Jul 8 18:34:02 CEST 2004

Matt, Tom, all,

> And it works avoids the problems of images, bad HTML, bad
> linking, etc.
> that a GUI like DreamWeaver would introduce.

Spoken like a true programmer. Unfortunatly most of the not-so-programming
adept customers will want that Dreamweaver support.

> On the other hand, creating a special
> launcher/loader/whatever-its-called-now to extract the HTML
> fragment and
> wrap it in <html><body> would probably be fairly easy.

Well it wouldn't be a loader. A loader would means the resource is actually
processed by a request. I think it would be just an API call, somhing like
this:

1. Somehow webdav http information about the file to edit is gathered.
2. The file is read from VFS with readFile(name)
3. The content of the file is transformed somehow from XML to HTML
4. The transformed file is delivered through Webdav to end user
5. End user does modifications
6. The modified file is transferd back though webdav
7. The transformation from step 3 is applied backwards
8. The modified and transformed file is saved to VFS with writeFile(name)

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior
Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts