[opencms-dev] Oracle8i Character Encoding

Mark J. Weidner mjw22 at drexel.edu
Sat Jul 10 03:23:01 CEST 2004

Based on the OpenCMS documentation I've read, the follow is how the language specific data storage is handled in OpenCMS:

1) Content can be in edited / stored in any encoding (e.g. "Big5", "ISO8859_5" etc.)
2) Resource is saved in native encoding in the OpenCms VFS repository
3) While processing dynamic pages, content is converted to UTF-8 (Unicode)
4) Response encoding is set depending on business logic of the application

This still leaves me with the question of what encoding needs to be used on the DB to store both Western and Asian languages.  Since the data appears to be stored in it's native encoding, then converted to UTF-8, I'll assume I need a specific characterset to accommodate all the languages being used (since it's ultimately converted to UTF-8, I would assume just create the Oracle DB under the UTF-8 encoding).  Then again, IF it's all stored simply as unicode in the DB as text, I'm not sure I need to create another instance running under UTF-8.

Thoughts?

-Mark