[opencms-dev] Re: Static export problem

Stephan Hartmann beffe at beffe.de
Sun Aug 15 22:56:23 CEST 2004

Check the hostname and ip of your server. Is it behind a gateway that
performs some kind of address translation / port forwarding?
Example:
Your hostname is www.myhost.com
This name is resolved by DNS to the public ip of your gateway/firewall. This
one forwards all requests to your internal opencms host with a private ip.
Now when opencms does static export, it tries to retrieve a page through a
network connection with the hostname of the first request, that comes after
the startup. This could be www.myhost.com. But most firewall configurations
make it impossible to connect from your internal net to the ip of the
external network interface of your firewall. This could be the reason for
your Connection time out.
You can check this if you try to telnet www.myhost.com port 80 from your
opencms server console.
There are several solutions:
1. fix your firewall configuration (best but tricky or impossible)
2. make sure the first connection after a server restart comes from your
internal net with an internal hostname that resolves to your internal ip
(not so good)
3. configure an internal name server or simply edit your hosts file of the
server to resolve www.myhost.com to your private ip address (easy and good)

Regards,
Stephan