[opencms-dev] Maximum number of files in a dir/project?

Michael Biber mbiber at www.bibertech.com
Tue Aug 17 04:49:15 CEST 2004

The interface of the application will slow down because of download file
size increase. This is related to the content tree navigation structure that
illustrates all the content items that continues to get larger and larger as
you add content.

Now your question regarding how OpenCms can handle close to 24,000 content
items.  Well, I do not have an answer because we do have a client with this
many items and we never have load tested it at this level.  There are many
factors for example, database type, separation of the database and
application, number of CPU’s, RAM size, clustering, and etc.

We do have some Fortune 500 clients that have around 7,500 to 10,000 content
items and the system does run into issues at times, so we needed to upgrade
them to quad servers for the database and application because of the CPU
process issues when publishing.

Another issue is the number of authors publishing content at one time, which
greatly effects OpenCms performance or any Content Management Server.

Even for Vignette7, this is a lot and do relies, Vignette has a lot more
features than OpenCms.

Michael Biber

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:56:35 -0700 (PDT), Michelle Harris wrote