[opencms-dev] News woes continued.

daniel Griffith mechadaniel at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 20 18:15:02 CEST 2004

This is starting to read like a Microsoft case study
in why large companies shouldn't use open source
software:)

The story so far:

I look into opencms, and it looks promising, I buy
three copies of the book, and allocate myself sometime
to give it a try.

I download and install 5.3.6. It seems to work fine
and but I need a news module. I ask on this mailing
list if there is a module that works on 5.3.6 and
receive no answer.

The book says I can get modules from
http://opencms.al-arenal.de/ but it is down.

There is a online forum for opencms
http://www.opencms-forum.de/ but registration is
broken - no field to enter a username.

So I install 5.0.1 and it's back to this list to ask
if someone could give me a link to a working module. I
get one response saying the one in the sandbox is
usable.

I give it a try. It seems to work fine, but as the
coder just pulled the original source from the cvs
there is zero documentation.

Meanwhile a email to sales at Alkacon asking if they have
a commercial news module, or how much for them to
write me one, goes unaswered.

So, here I go again:)

Could somebody PLEASE (hell, I'll even pay if thats
what it takes) email me one of the existing news
modules - the book says there was 5 forks, so
_someone_ out there must have written one of them,
with documentation.

Oh, another question.
I need to be able to list news on a page with say 5
items on 1 page, and a menu listing 1 2 3 4 etc to go
through old items. Not too hard to do I guess, but I
really feel I'll be re-inventing the wheel, does
anyone have an example or a code snippet that does
this?

TIA -heh, call me an optimist:)

daniel