[opencms-dev] News woes continued.

Olli Aro olli_aro at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 20 18:21:17 CEST 2004

Hi Daniel,

My apologies for the bad first impression. OpenCMS is currently between two
major releases (5 and 6) and therefore it might feel a bit frustrating from
time to time. The version you have downloaded is earlier development version
for OpenCMS 6 and therefore not that well documented. All modules and the
book are written for version 5 and need be revised closer to version 6
release date later this year. So, if you would like relatively easy start I
would recommend you to install version 5.01 (the book and all modules will
work with this).

Regarding the commercial support - Alkacon as core developers are currently
very busy with the next release, but OpenCMS does have an extensive global
support organisation (the full list can be found on the site).

Regarding the news module - the one in the sand box will work with version
5.01. I have not used the module myself (tend to build my own content types
instead), but know people using it.

"Oh, another question.I need to be able to list news on a page with say 5
items on 1 page, and a menu listing 1 2 3 4 etc to go
through old items. Not too hard to do I guess, but I
really feel I'll be re-inventing the wheel, does
anyone have an example or a code snippet that does
this?"

I my opinion the news module should allow you to do this :)

Regards,

Olli

---