[opencms-dev] Problems with mod_proxy (OpenCms 6 Alpha 1)

Sebastian Himberger sh at agil-mehr-internet.de
Mon Sep 13 12:27:23 CEST 2004

Hi,

I tried to set up an OpenCms-Site for production using Tomcat 5.0.23 and
OpenCms 6.0 Alpha-1 on a Windows-Server 2003 box (JDK 1.4_2). I read the
documentation about mod_proxy from alkacon and some postings on the
mailing-list. Here are my ideas:

*) I don't want to run OpenCMS as the ROOT application of tomcat but
want nice looking urls like www.thepage.de/release or
www.thepage.de/information/page.html

*) I want the Apache webserver to serve static items of the page to
increase performance and response time using a virtual host (
www.static.thepage.de )

*) I want to access the OpenCms-backend either through
http://opencms.thepage.de or www.thepage.de/system/login/

I managed to get the basic configuration done but have still some
problems:

*) When I access the OpenCms backend through mod_proxy using
www.thepage.de/system/login the backend doesn't work properly. After
logging in I get the following screen:
http://www.zw-server.de/screens/workplace_proxy.gif

*) When I access the Workplace through
http://localhost:8080/thepage/opencms/system/login I get broken images
and a wrong url which is the result of the import / export configuration
I posted below http://localhost:8080/system/login/index.html?login=true

Has anybody an idea how I can solve this problems? I already have ideas
WHY I have this problems but no solutions in mind HOW to get around this
issues.
Any help or advises would be gladly appreciated, even if I have to
modify the OpenCMS source and submit a patch I would be willing to help
solving this problem (please give me some hints where I have to start,
if this is the only solution). I tried to post all informations about my
setup below.

Thanks in advance

Sebastian Himberger
<sh at agil-mehr-internet.de>

---
Here is my setup:

OpenCMS is installed in:

  ${TOMCAT_HOME}/webapps/thepage/

The "opencms-importexport.xml" is configured the following way:

  <exportpath>export</exportpath>
  <rfs-prefix>http://static.thepage.de/</rfs-prefix>
  <vfs-prefix></vfs-prefix>

The "opencms.properties" has the following settings:

  site.root.list=http://localhost:8080|/sites/default/
  site.root.default=/sites/default/

The apache vhosts are configured the following way:

  # Relaunch
  <VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName thepage.de

    DocumentRoot "${TOMCAT_HOME}/webapps/thepage/"

    ProxyPass         /opencms/      !
    RedirectPermanent /opencms/      http://www.thepage.de/

    ProxyPass         /resources/    !

    ProxyPass         /         http://127.0.0.1:8081/thepage/opencms/
    ProxyPassReverse  /         http://127.0.0.1:8081/thepage/opencms/
  </VirtualHost>

  # Static
  <VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName static.thepage.de
    DocumentRoot "${TOMCAT_HOME}/webapps/thepage/export/"
    ServerAlias www.static.thepage.de static.thepage.de
  </VirtualHost>