[opencms-dev] News Module/Form based editing of content items

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Tue Sep 28 10:18:22 CEST 2004

Hi,

regarding the news module

> > at http://www.opencms.org/opencms/en/support/tour/6.html
> i?ve seen a
> > very interesting functionality but i can?t find these in opencms 5
> > distribution nor in the modules offered on www.opencms.org.
> >
> > Any Hints?
>
> AFAIK is this functionality not for free. I do not understand
> why the 'news-module' is not included. Many opensource CMS
> (postnuke, mambo) have a news-module with 'read more...' option.
>
> Is there any change to give the news-module to the public?

OpenCms 6 will feature the so called "xmlcontent" for strcutured content.
This will render the "News" module as well as the "Content definition" and
"Master Module" APIs obsolete. In short you will be able to create a
(simplified) XML Schema and define this as a template for content items in
the workplace. An editor for this will be automatically created accoring to
the schema. With some simple taglib commands you will be able to access the
content items and build lists and details pages etc.

The old APIs will remain in the 6.0 release, but not be supported after that
release. I don't think many people will really want to use the old APIs with
6.0, so this should be no problem.

The functionality for xmlcontent already is included in the 6.0 alpha 1, but
it still needs to be refined. We will include a demo for what is already
available in the next (alpha 2) release.

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior
Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts