[opencms-dev] Regarding the Editors in Alpha 1

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Sun Oct 3 16:46:19 CEST 2004

Sebastian

> im currently trying to extend the wysiwyg editor in Alpha 1,
> and have some general questions, to get a deeper
> understanding and decide howto go on with my ocms project.
>
> 1. There are 3 Simple-Editors.. two for HTML (only the Label
> differs) and one for plain text or jsp, is this necessary and
> what are the reasons?

I don't know what you mean. Can you be more specific?

> 2. The Internet Explorer uses the MSDHTML Editor as default,
> why isn't it replaced with the HtmlArea or is this going to
> be changed?

HtmlArea so far is an add-on module, so it would not be very wise to make
this to the default. But which editor is used by default can be easily
modified. In the folder

/system/workplace/editors/{editorname}

for each editor there is a file

editor_configuration.xml

There is a <ranking/> node that controls which editor is used as default for
a resource type. The editor with the highest ranking will be the "Best
available" i.e. default editor.

> 3. HtmlArea supports CSS-Styles and custom HTML Elements
> (does the MSDHTML too?). Are this functionalities planned to
> be enabled in OCMS6 or do i have to add them by myself?

No, not from our side. Any contribution to the editors is of course greatly
appreciated.

What we will be working on until end of this year is integrating the gallery
functions to HtmlArea. However we don't plan to add any other features to
the HtmlArea module so far.

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior