[opencms-dev] htlm forms utilization

Kellen Dye kdye at library.ucsd.edu
Tue Oct 12 23:16:11 CEST 2004

The form element is not allowed nested inside of the table element. Try
moving it to before the table tag, like so:

<form name="newData" action="AddNewData.jsp" method="POST">
</form>

You'd also be well-advised to use xhtml (which requires lowercase html
tags, amongst other things), over html4.

Also, validating your html can be a good way to debug such problems:
http://www.htmlhelp.com/validator

Kellen

>>> domenico.deseta at tiscali.it 10/12/04 10:26 AM >>>

In a html page I have included a form in the usual manner:

<HTML>
<HEAD><TITLE> New data </TITLE></HEAD>
<BODY>

<CENTER>
  <FONT SIZE="5" COLOR="navy">
    Insert new data
  </FONT>
</CENTER>

<TABLE WIDTH="100%">
<FORM NAME="newData"
      ACTION="AddNewData.jsp"
      METHOD="POST">

  <TR><TD WIDTH="50%" ALIGN="right">ID: </TD>
      <TD WIDTH="50%">
        <INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="id" VALUE="">
      </TD>
  </TR>
..
..
..
  <TR><TD COLSPAN="2" ALIGN="center">
       <INPUT TYPE="submit" NAME="btnSubmit" VALUE="Submit"></TD>
  </TR>
</FORM>
</TABLE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

I would expect that on clicking the submit button the AddNewData.jsp be
invoked: instead, nothing happens, apart from the botton blinking as it
gets clicked.
I also tried to include the full path to the JSP page in the ACTION
field, with no success: I suspect I am missing some important issue
behind use of HTML forms within OpenCMS.

Is there anybody who has already tackled this issue?

Regards

Domenico De Seta

---