[opencms-dev] jsptemplates / frames

Claus Priisholm cpr at codedroids.com
Wed Oct 13 16:48:10 CEST 2004

Forget about the old XmlTemplate stuff - while it is still in v.5
consider it is deprecated.

First consider if you really need frames, generally people use frames
for two reasons 1) manage multiple pages with having to update multiple
menus and 2) to provide a scrolled area.

As for 1 - OpenCms builds the menus for so no need for frames here
As for 2 - Use CSS to provide the scrolled area.

I say this because things tend to become convoluted when involving
frames. But other than that there's nothing special about using frames
with OpenCms.

If your question is more on how to make any JSP template I suggest
looking some of the examples - there at least the release note stuff to
look at once you've loaded the system. There also a more elaborate
example available for download from the opencms.org and finally you
take a look on Matt's OpenCms book.