[opencms-dev] open letter -- How to learn OpenCMS

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Wed Oct 13 18:03:10 CEST 2004

At 09:46 AM 10/13/04, you wrote:

>I am new to OpenCms and am trying to develop a web application using it.
>Over the past month or so, I have posted many messages to this list, but
>only received a few replies to various questions. I have also noticed in
>the message archives a lot more questions than answers. Open-source
>projects that do well usually have a good community behind them to help
>out new users, along with demos and good documentation. While, OpenCms has
>the best docs of any open-source CMS project I have looked into, I don't
>see enough help on the mailing list.

         There is no shortage of help on this list. The problem does NOT
lie with the OpenCMS developers or with the experienced users of OpenCMS.
The problem lies with users who are too lazy to search the email archives,
too lazy to read the documentation, or too cheap to buy Matt Butcher's
excellent book on OpenCMS.

         When I began learning OpenCMS two years ago, I began by reading
the official documentation. Then, I read every single email in the archives
(for the prior six months) that had been posted by Alexander Kandzior, the
chief architect of OpenCMS. Other posters whose emails contain valuable
information include these:

         = Matt Butcher
         = Olli Aro
         = Mark Miller
         =  Stephan Hartmann
         = Rene Hinojosa
         =  Joachim Arrasz
         =  Thomas Marz

I suggest that you read the emails of these experienced users _very_
carefully. Their emails contain a great deal of supplemental, useful
information. Do _not_ merely search the email archives. BROWSE them. READ
them. They are a gold mine of information.

Sincerely,
Paul Bain