[opencms-dev] OCSetup will not complete

Brian Fending fendingb at buffalolib.org
Thu Oct 14 17:32:24 CEST 2004

>> However, JAVA_HOME (JAVA_HOME=C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05) *does* point to the
>> JDK. JAVA_HOME should have to point to the /bin, right?

>JAVA_HOME should point to your jsdk in your case to
>JAVA_HOME=C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05
>but you should have the JAVA_HOME\bin\ in your path.
>Set the path so that Windows can find java, javac etc.
>PATH=%PATH%;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\bin; Try java -version in the console
>(cmd) This have to work.

Okay, added that string to the PATH environmental variable.

Java -version:
java version "1.4.2_05"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_05-b04)

As soon as I start tomcat, the console issues:
Unable to find a javac compiler;
com.sun.tools.javac.Main is not on the classpath.
Perhaps JAVA_HOME does not point to the JDK
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.compilers.CompilerAdapterFactory.getCompil
er(CompilerAdapterFactory.java:140)

I changed my startup script to:

%JAVA_HOME%\bin\java.exe -jar /
-Dfile.encoding=ISO-8859-1 /
-Duser.dir="C:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.30" /
"C:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.30\bin\ /
bootstrap.jar" start

 - to no effect.

So: Is the next step a fresh install of everything? I'd hate to think
I'm the first person to encounter this issue!