[opencms-dev] Is OpenCMS the right tool for this?

Serge Plüss serge.a.pluess at Dartmouth.EDU
Fri Oct 22 17:27:59 CEST 2004

Hi

just downloaded and finally got OpenCMS 6.0 alpha 1 installed. After playing a
little bit with the tools I am not so sure if it is the right tool for what
we are trying to achieve.

  +------------------------------------+
  | Header     Navigation Menu         |
  +--------+---------------------------+
  |        |                           |
  | Navbar |     Main pages            |
  |  with  |                           |
  | Dept.  |     Department pages      |
  | List   |                           |
  |        |     ...                   |
  +--------+---------------------------+

The main site layout consist of a Logo and navigation menu on the top and a
navigation menu down the left. The left menu will include links to individual
departments.
Clicking on one of the department links will bring up that departments home
page in the main page area.

Each department has one person designated to be responsible for their
departments content.

Each of these department user should only have access to their content and be
able to edit it easily (preferably WYSIWYG) but not have access to either
navigation bars/menus.

If possible each departments site should be easily reachable with links like:

http://www.mainsite.com/department1 ... etc.

The last place I worked they aquired Vignette for this task but here we don't
have that kind of budget.

Can this be achieved with OpenCMS or do you have better/easier solutions that
could achieve this?

Thank you in advance

Serge