[opencms-dev] FW: Contribute JetCMS - A CMS module for jetspeed 1 - Discuss on Content definitions !!

Vlachogiannis Evangelos evlach at aegean.gr
Sun Oct 31 20:12:42 CET 2004

Hi all,

I have just downloaded and installed opencms 6a2. If you see the attached email below we have used a similar approach for content definitions and I would like to share my thoughts and hopefully open an interesting discussion:

When we were designing the module below we were thinking about using xml content definitions (like opencms supports now). If we would use xml for our content we would use a Native XML database to store the content and the definitions, as these supposed to be more appropriate. In this case we would have our data in a document centric form and we could even use XForms for posting ready XML!!! What we made us prefering the database structure is that we though that we did not want our data to be document centric. The reason is simple: XML databases / document centric content cannot be queried (joins etc) as a relational database (till now) for aggregating data from more than a content definition (our v-tables / resource_types).  Our implementation (at least till now) does not support such generic "virtual queries" ... (??)

We I am not sure if we have made the right or wrong decision (maybe depends on the progree of NXML dbs) but at least I think it worths discussing it...  What do you think people?

Regards,

Evangelos Vlachogiannis
Researcher - PhD. Candidate
Dept. of Products and Systems Design http://www.syros.aegean.gr) University