[opencms-dev] Inserting linked content using OpenCMS 5.x

Thomas Maerz thomasmaerz at gmx.de
Thu Dec 2 00:21:26 CET 2004

"Gavin, Ben" <BGavin at SkylineTechnologies.com> writes:

>   Does this make any sense?  Am I missing something fundamental here?
> It's like there is processing at a million different levels except the
> one where it would be most useful, taking the content that the user puts
> in through the page editor and doing pre-processing prior to output [to
> resolve images, links, etc].

Let me get your point:

You think the links won't work after changing your servlet name.

If I did get the point, then

- Take a look at the corresponding body file of your page in
  /system/bodies/. The body of /index.html is in
  /system/bodies/index.html. Take a look at the content of
  /system/bodies/index.html and the shouldn't be any "/opencms/opencms/"
  String. ( Maybe in the edittemplate part, but AFAIK not. )

- Always use the CmsJspActionElement#link method in your JSPs.

- Change the "opencms" servlet folder to "somethingelse", restart your
  servlet container and your links should still work.

- The second code posted is useful if you want the processed content of
  a file, e. g. to show contents of a file in other pages, do some
  String manipulations, ...

> Alright, so I've temporarily abandoned the 6.0 alpha product and am
> working with the 5.0.1 distribution now.

Don't do this. Use the CVS HEAD, don't use Alpha2. I even used 5.3.6 for
a project - since some things are easier, OpenCms is faster, DirectEdit
feature, Unicode Support, ... - and the site is still running without
problems.

Or maybe set up a sample project with 5.0.1 and then get it running with
OpenCms 6, this is not hard. I moved some projects and found some errors
which could be fixed by search and replace, but the import form 5.0 to 6
provided by OpenCms got better day by day.

Regards,
Thomas