[opencms-dev] publish problem alpha 2

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Tue Dec 14 14:35:18 CET 2004

This is because of the caching of the browser. OpenCms will use the
expiration date set on the resource and send this as http expiration header
to the client. In case the expiration is far in the future, the maximum
"age" a page can have is 24 hours.

This is true for all online content. Logging in to the workplace will force
a "no cache" header for all requests since obviously here the content must
be refreshed on a continuous basis.

To be clear, in case you change a page and publish, it is of course updated
in the OpenCms VFS and all users who request the page the first time will
see the updated content. However, if you have an old version cached by the
browser, it dosen't even connect to OpenCms, it just displays the old
version out of his cache. You can verify this by using a tool like "live
http headers" available for Firefox. You can also just clear the cache of
the browser to see the updated version. Apparently this is so even if you
set the browserto "reload page every time", don't ask me why this is.

To make the expiration update more frequently, use the "timeout" flex cache
directive on any resource included in the template, or on the template
itself. Keep in mind that this is actually a feature to reduce server load.
Sending a "no cache" every time (or allowing only a very short cache
timeout) on a production site for content that changes only frequently (say
once a day or so) isn't usually a good idea.

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior
Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts